Divorce is the legal process for bringing a marriage to an end. Finances and disputes about children are dealt with separately. The only ground for divorce is irretrievable breakdown of the marriage.

This has to be proved by 1 of 5 facts which are adultery, unreasonable behaviour, desertion for 2 years, separation for 2 years with consent or separation for 5 years (no consent needed). You need to have been married for at least 1 year to start divorce proceedings.

The majority of divorces are dealt with on paperwork and usually do not require any hearings at court. The paperwork can be complicated and delays can occur if documents are not completed correctly or within the time limits given.

We offer a FIXED FEEfor uncontested divorces where there are no complications and no disputes about children or finances.


Money and Property

Financial Remedy is the legal term for sorting out finances and property on divorce. It is better for couples to try and agree these issues without getting the Court involved. It is advisable to have any agreement incorporated into what is known as a Consent Order so it is binding upon both of you. We can advise you on what would be a fair settlement in your case, help negotiate the settlement and prepare the Consent Order. If no agreement can be reached then a Judge will become involved and will make the decision for you.

This Court process can be very complex. It is essential that Court documents are completed correctly. We can deal with this paperwork for you and also deal with the hearings at Court that will be arranged although you will also have to attend.




The Court does not make any Orders about where the children are to live and how much contact they are to have with the other parent in divorce proceedings. You and your spouse will need to complete a form about the arrangements for the children when the divorce starts and before Decree Nisi can be pronounced the Judge must certify s/he is satisfied with the arrangements. If you cannot agree where the children are to live then a separate application will have to be made for this question to be dealt with.